Because we spend a third of our life in bed, it is only natural to want the most comfortable things for our bed. The pillow is definitely one of the most important purchases you make for your bedroom.
It not only helps you get a good night’s sleep, but also keeps your neck aligned with your spine. Over time, the wear and tear in your neck caused by the wrong pillow can lead to muscle stiffness, nerve pain, herniated discs, tendonitis, etc. This is why it is important to make sure that you choose the right pillow.
Choosing The Right Pillow
- Know when it is time for a replacement – Like everything else, pillows do not last forever, so make sure you keep an eye out for sagging and lumps. If your pillow is traditional fiberfill, fold it in half and then place a book on top of it. If the pillow springs back to shape, it is an indicator that it is still in good shape. If it stays folded, you need a new one. If your memory foam pillow no longer holds its shape or is crumbly, it is time to get rid of it. You need to make sure that you know when you need to replace your faithful old pillow with a new one.
- Find out about the materials – The fluffiest pillows are down pillows but if you want to save money, you should choose one that combines down with feather as they are less expensive. A synthetic-fill pillow is also a good option; they feel soft and at the same time, offer supportive resistance. Memory foam pillows are firmer and thicker and certainly more comfortable. It is also important to make sure that a pillow has a tightly-woven outer fabric that keeps the fill in while ensuring allergens do not get in. It should have tight stitching without any fibers or feathers poking out.
- Consider how you sleep – Generally, those who sleep on their stomach need a thinner pillow while those who sleep on their side require a thicker one. As for those who sleep on their back, a pillow that is somewhere between thick and thin is ideal. But you may be an exception to these guidelines. The position of your neck is important. As you sleep, it should align with your spine in a neutral position. Experts say that a hybrid pillow is best – it has a memory foam core with a softer synthetic or down layer surrounding it. This type of pillow gives you both support and comfort.
- Check the care label – It is important to find out how you will need to care for the pillow before you make a purchase. By checking the care label, you can decide if you are willing to care for it as directed on the label. Most can be washed in machines, but some can only be dry-cleaned or spot-treated, or washed only in front-load machines. Washing your pillow two to four times a year and using a pillow protector to keep it clean and prevent wear will make it last longer.
- Test it out before buying it – Just like you would when buying a mattress, it is important to make sure that you test a pillow before you buy it. Rest your head on it for at least 10 minutes before you commit to it. If you cannot do this, you can take it home and test it without removing the plastic wrap. If your neck tips backward or forward, or causes any other discomfort, it is not the one for you and you should return it to the store.
You need to be careful when shopping for a new pillow. Make sure that you choose one that gives you proper support as well as comfort.
As you can see, it is not difficult to know what to look for in a pillow. With these points in mind, you can make sure that you buy the perfect pillow. With the right pillow, you can make sure you sleep well every night and wake up every morning fresh and ache-free.
Check out the Bestselling Bed Pillows on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of July 24, 2017 4:41 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.